In my double Media lessons today, I went through one of my favourite font designing websites - www.dafont.com - to pick a few examples of fonts I liked that we could use for our credits. The criteria that I was looking for when flicking through the pages was:
- It had to represent our genre - the horror/thriller genre had to be shown through this font, just like the title font, because I want the audience to know by just looking at the credits what film genre it is.
- Similar to our title font - this meant it had to be a definite horror/thriller type, and be a bit unordinairy (e.g. the smudged effect that we have on our title).
- Would fit well with the scenes it's going to appear on - the scenes that are appearing at the same time only last about 2 seconds max and are extremely fast cuts, so the font had to be something that reflected a fast paced, tense atmosphere that would be going on in the film at that time.
Here is 8 examples of what I found, the reasons why I picked them and why I like them:
 |
| I picked this one because it matched my criteria of being unordinairy looking, and has a similar effect of being smudged across the page. I like this font because it looks quite rough around the edges, as if someone's just scribbled it out quickly, which reflects the fast paced atmosphere I want to introduce. Although, this font does look slightly too young for the audience that we are producing to and might not get the scary/horrorness across. |
 |
| I picked this particular font because it is similar to the font of our title because it looks as if it's again been written in blood, and this would be good because it doesn't take any attention away from the title font because it's not quite as dramatic or as important. I like this font because even though it's similar to our title, it almost creates a build up to the font of 'Necrophobia' which makes it stand out more and seem more powerful. |
 |
| I thought the effect that the beginning letter has around it seems like it's splattered across the page roughly again, which is good because it shows the careless and mental nature of our main character. I like the fact that it seems quite blurred and not fully focussed which is great because it wouldn't take too much attention away from the scene that's going on, although it might not take any attention because it doesn't stand out much. |
 |
| This font stood out to me because it's similar to our title font in the way some bits seem scratched out and there are missing sections of each letter, which I thought was good because it could be showing the saneness that is missing to our main characters mind. Although, I think we would have the same problem as the first example on this one too because it doesn't seem appropriate for our mass audience and I don't think they would be attracted to the 'child-like' nature of this. |
 |
| This is pretty much the same as some of the previous examples, but what stood out on this one is the boldness of the actual letters, and the view of what looks like again a smudged/dripping effect to the font. I like this because it's like it's written in the blood of the victims, and it's dripping down the page. |
 |
| This one stands out in the collection that I picked because it has a very different design to it, and instead of being quite boldly smudged across the page, it looks like it's just a few splatters of it, or as if someone has smashed a mirror above it and there are shards all over it. The font itself is extremely bold so it would definitely stand out which is what we ideally want. |
 |
| This potential credit font is the boldest and largest of the actual letters, which does suggest the powerfulness of our film and the main character. And also, only the 2 letters features the effect so I thought this might be good because the effect wouldn't take the attention away from the audience actually reading the writing. |
 |
| This font is one of my favourite's because it looks like someone had stood above the text and poured a pot of thick paint down it to make the writing, as you can tell from the dripping effect on the third letter. This also features some of the other points I liked in the other fonts I chose: the boldness of the letters and the missing pieces of each one. |
I did complete this work by myself, so next time I meet up with Laura Jeffreson, I am going to show her these examples and we're both going to come to a decision of which one we both like best. The one we choose will then feature in our final product as the credits for the actors.
WHY HAVE I DONE THIS?I wanted to make sure our titles stood out and were suitable for the film we wanted to create, to make it more realistic and perfect for our audience.
No comments:
Post a Comment